For various reasons, I'm playing with making dice again, this with some Star Trek (original series) style planets and two varieties of resin. I have various sizes of hemispheric mold which I squirted with a variety of UV-sensitive resins (mostly pre-colored, but I mixed some pigments into a clear resin as well) and immediately cured so they didn't just settle into layers. Once those were set up, I put a layer of black two-part resin in the molds, then inserted the planetary hemispheres and filled the rest in with more (clear this time) two-part resin. The result is these dice, as yet uninked.
Still having a go at these, trying out some new ideas. The short version is that having the right tools and materials is still key, but I've got a way to go with some other stuff. I think this one looks better in person than as a picture. A couple of shades of blue here with a blue wash and drybrushed metallic blue on some components. Oh, and purple spikes. I didn't even try to figure out something clever to do with the windshield. I'm finding that it's hard to make yellow work, but this one wasn't too bad. I initially tried masking the area for the blue stripe with tape, but it pulled off the paint instead. Had to do a swipe with a broad brush, which isn't great but worked better than I expected. Another one that looks better in person than on film. Tried to do a few different shades of green, which wasn't entirely successful. Probably my best out of this batch. I credit the red wash, which ended up being kind of glossy and goes well with the copper accents