Skip to main content

Dunegon Fantasy Roleplaying Game: Production Values

Now that I've got my hard copy of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game box (woot!), I can look at it as a physical product, and I'm quite happy with it.

Consider, for a moment, the GM screen:
Currently available images of the screen don't do justice to it as a physical object. We'll ignore the art and such for the moment (I'll be coming back to it). This is a substantial item, made of thick cardboard under those glossy covers. The four-panel display stays up quite nicely on its own and is unlikely to be collapsed by passing breezes.

The cardboard heroes are made of the same sturdy material. These are designed to fit into the manufactured stands, a significant change from the original version made form sheets of thick paper/thin cardstock, designed to fold up into triangles. The fold-up-triangle approach was certainly viable, but they were still easily knocked over by drafts and inadvertent table collisions. These are heavier and less subject to the vagaries of the gaming table environment.

So, back to the visual components, then. I like Brandon Moore's art, but there's something I like even more than that: color.


The use of color in the DFRPG isn't overwhelming: top and bottom borders, larger headings, backgrounds of boxes and some table rows, and illustrations. The bulk of the space on any page is black text on white pages. But that same layout in standard B&W GURPS books feels more textbook-like than the modestly colored versions on glossy paper in the DFRPG. It's easy to read and interesting to look at without being overwhelming or distracting. Indeed, I've been spending most of my time in monochrome GURPS PDFs for so long that I'd forgotten how nice a little bit of color was. I know there are good and sufficient business reasons not to use color, but I'd really love to see more of it in future products.

So, then, not only is the DFRPG a good game (which I already knew from the text), it looks good and feels good, too.

Comments

Unachimba said…
I think SJ Games should never have gone down the no colour route.

I will likely never print a GURPS PDF again
(Handouts, reference guides and so on are an exception, but they probably would be what I would most like to have as a colour print out).

Popular posts from this blog

Spaced Out Rides

(This is the kind of thing I'd have sent into Pyramid   back in the day, but that's not an option now, so here we are.)   The GURPS Action series is the gift that keeps on giving for a lot of modern-and-later gaming. GURPS Action 2: Exploits has rules for sneaking around, running away, and all kinds of other activities which can be easily transplanted to cyberpunk and other high-tech settings. GURPS Action 6: Tricked-Out Rides provides more of the same for its topic, giving an easy framework for describing and even designing common types of vehicles without all the math and paralysis-by-analysis of GURPS Vehicles. Pick a standardized vehicle type (van, compact car, etc.) and apply modifiers (rugged, tinted windows). But, of course, it’s limited. It’s just ten pages, after all, so it’s great for common passenger vehicles for the modern(ish) era. But higher-tech vehic...

G$ --> DND GP

A GURPS $ is worth 1.27 D&D 5e SP, which is interesting because in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, the typical $1 coin is a silver piece. And a D&D GP is worth about $7.87 in GURPS. So, where does that come from? A while back, I cautioned someone considering using (among other things) GURPS Renaissance Venice: Merchants of Venice  in a non-GURPS game that prices listed in the extensive lists of trade goods were expressed in GURPS $, which might not have obvious conversions into other game systems. But if one wanted to convert GURPS prices into D&D or vice versa, how would that work? It crossed my mind to take a "basket of goods" approach. Economists measure inflation not by picking a single commodity, like the price of gold or oil or wheat, and seeing how that changes over time, but by taking the combined value of a set of common commodities. This provides a more comprehensive picture of the cost of living. Perhaps gas becomes less expensive while the price of whe...

dVikingNames

This 2015 dissertation by Dr.  Paul Peterson  is the kind of gaming resource actual academia provides to us. The work contains a list of 517 Viking nicknames and their meanings. They start on p. 127 if you just want to skip ahead. Cool, no? Shane Ivey over on Bluesky suggested bringing a d517 to your next D&D game. And having a random table of Viking names is a great idea, actually. But. 517 doesn't break down into die rolls well. It's the product of two primes, and that does not translate into rolls on dAnythingyoumighthaveinyourdicebag. But its really close to 512, which is a straight-up power of two, and that you can roll. Indeed, if you just ignore the last five items on the list (sorry, enn ǫrvi, ǫrvǫnd, ǫrvǫndr, Øxna-, and øxnabroddr), you just need 3d8, or roll a d8 three times, treating each roll as a separate digit to generate one of 512 possible rolls and looking up the corresponding value. Roll, say, a 5, 7, and 1? That's 305, or lunan , meaning little blac...