Skip to main content

Painting Terrain

So far, I fail utterly at painting miniatures. I don't have the steadiest hand or best feel for the texture of paint, so when I see people's fully painted minis, I naturally assume they're wizards and will in due course be burned at the stake. But I've come up with some approaches to painting terrain and architecture which appear to work for me. And if like me, you can't paint details, here's a guide to how I do it.

The materials I use include:
  • Cheap acrylic paint, the thicker the better.
  • Kitchen sponges.
  • Maybe some paint brushes.
The first process I figured out working for me involves layers of stippling. Putting down multiple layers of what's essentially paint spatter gives this sort of natural stone look. To begin, cut the sponges into strips and pick at least three colors. For example, I often use dark, medium, and light brown or off-white or charcoal, medium gray, and white.


Dip the end of a strip of sponge into one of the colors and use it to stamp splotches of color on the surface to be painted. Complete coverage is unnecessary, as is smoothness. In fact, leave some areas blank and don't try to make an even coat. Between the thick paint and the coarseness of the sponge, you'll get a lightly textured surface, which has a nice natural feel to it.


Let the first pass dry (doesn't have to dry completely, just mostly; you want the colors not to blend a lot, but some fading into one another is fine) and repeat the process with a different color. Now there are two sets of overlapping splotches.


Let that pass dry and repeat with the third color. By now, the whole thing should be covered with a complete coat.


Repeat as desired in smaller passes, and possibly not letting previous coats dry as much, until it looks right.


I've also used this set of colors with an early pass or two of green to make a reasonably good outdoor look.

More recently, I've been working with dry brushing, a classical painting technique that I'm still practicing with. Start with two contrasting colors (for example, very dark and very light gray) and give the surface of the piece a full, heavy coat of one of them using a bit of kitchen sponge. You want a lot of texture here. Let dry completely.

Get a little paint of the second color onto the tip of the a brush, then wipe it across a paper towel or other surface. You want to get it to the point where it leaves a thin haze of paint. Then gently brush it over the painted surface. This leaves a very thin layer of highlights on the raised bits of texture, nicely setting them off. Not a lot of paint comes with the brush doing this, so you'll need to go back to the contrasting paint, brush most of it off, and put a little more on the piece repeatedly. 
 

This does takes practice, which I'm still working on. My dry brushing tends to be too heavy, but it's coming along.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ferrous Metal Food Fighting Guy!

(This is something I wrote up some years back. I'm putting it here so I can find it more easily when I want to. Though it's rather silly, it's also where I came up with the idea of high-quality materials which don't provide a bonus to the craftsman's skill, but do add to the margin of success, a mechanism which later appeared in the crafting rules in GURPS Low-Tech Companion 3 .) One of the things not to be found in GURPS 4e is extensive rules for competitive cooking. If two cooks of steely resolve rise up to face one another across a cooking coliseum, the GM can only fall back on hand-waving and contests of skill. This article fills that much-needed gap. GURPS chefs can now stage furious contests wherein they construct fanciful dishes, the more elaborate the better, and prove whose cooking rules the day. To the kitchen! Procedure These rules provide guidance for attempting to cook complex dishes and comparing their quality when the cooking is done. A che

Car Wars Minis, Third Batch

Still having a go at these, trying out some new ideas. The short version is that having the right tools and materials is still key, but I've got a way to go with some other stuff. I think this one looks better in person than as a picture. A couple of shades of blue here with a blue wash and drybrushed metallic blue on some components. Oh, and purple spikes. I didn't even try to figure out something clever to do with the windshield. I'm finding that it's hard to make yellow work, but this one wasn't too bad. I initially tried masking the area for the blue stripe with tape, but it pulled off the paint instead. Had to do a swipe with a broad brush, which isn't great but worked better than I expected. Another one that looks better in person than on film. Tried to do a few different shades of green, which wasn't entirely successful. Probably my best out of this batch. I credit the red wash, which ended up being kind of glossy and goes well with the copper accents

Charcuterie Bard

A few days ago, I dropped this random gag:   I shall make a character for an RPG who has powers related to artistic creativity, but instead of music and song, they come from arranging cheeses and cured meats. A charcuterie bard. — Turhan's Bey Company (@turhansbeycmpny) December 21, 2021   But then I remembered that there's absolutely precedent for food-based magic:  So, then, obviously we can have food-based bards in GURPS, right? The best approach I see is modifying the Enthrallment skills (p. B191). However, rather than requiring Public Speaking at 12+ as a prerequisite, a charcuterie bard requires Cooking and Professional Skill (Food Stylist) at 12+; see Ferrous Metal Food Fighting Guy for a bit on the latter. The skills are used by preparing and feeding an audience with tasty, tasty foods. The elements of food in question cost a minimum of 1% of COL per target, though higher quality ingredients provide a bonus (use costs and reaction bonuses for styling, GURPS Low-Tech