Skip to main content

What GURPS Doesn't Have

I was reading this post by Refplace about common GURPS myths: it's dead (no, it gets regular monthly support and doesn't need a new edition), there are no settings (no, there's a zillion of them), and so on. And while GURPS has lots of stuff, the no-settings meme in particular did get me thinking about notable gaps which still exist in the GURPS line. I can think of three gaps that might usefully be filled.

A vehicle design system is, of course, one of those gaps. Many games need no such thing, but general-purpose rules for stuff are very much in GURPS's lane. The 4e vehicle design book is still going through its interminable process, so I suppose we'll see it when we see it. I'm curious as to whether we'll ever see a similar gun-design system, which would also be appropriate.

Then there's a setting line. Yes, yes, I know. GURPS has settings. It has many settings. I would respectfully submit that there's no setting line for 4e in the way there is for other RPGs. What I'm talking about here is an integrated line of works covering notable people and places with playable adventures, and maybe even custom rules. Dungeon Fantasy has rules and adventures, but only one real location, and that ties in weakly with the adventures. Everything outlines, as I often say, the kind of place a DF world is, but not a specific world or adventuring region. Banestorm has a couple of setting works and a martial arts supplement, but no adventures native to 4e. Transhuman Space has conversion guides but the core is 3rd edition. 4e lacks, say, the book about Immortal City-State of Gyrxx, an adventure in the sewers of Gyrxx parts one through three, a supplement with stats for various inhabitants and enemies of Gyrxx, an adventure dealing with the swamp lizard attacks on Gyrxx parts one to three, and so on. That kind of completely ready-made, out-of-the-box set of materials doesn't exist. Yes, I'm aware of the good and sufficient business reasons why these things don't exist and are unlikely to exist, so don't @ me, as the kids say. I'm just observing that it doesn't exist. (That said, I note with some interest that Douglas Cole seems to be moving in this direction with his DFRPG work, and I Have Ideas about retroactively bringing together existing DF works in to a more coherent whole which I hope shall see the light of day at some point.)

Finally, there's the big sci-fi supplement. With its history of supporting things like Transhuman Space and yet another implementation of Traveller, 4e is notably lacking in the star-faring science fiction department. Yes, there's GURPS Space and GURPS Ultra-Tech, but the subjects which have received the most elaboration by far are historical/fantasy gaming (DF, the Low Tech line, and most of the Locations to date are pointed more or less that way) and modern-ish gaming (High Tech, all of the gun-related books, and the Action and Monster Hunters lines). But where, for 4e, is GURPS Space Explorers? Where is GURPS Bug Hunt? I've been involved in actual discussions concerning the latter with both SJ Games and other authors, but nothing has yet emerged from those. Perhaps it's time to kick those off again.

Comments

Rory said…
Aww you read my blog :)
Yeah Douglas Cole at Gaming Ballistic looks like he has solid plans for a DF setting.
In fact I need to update that section of my blog.
As for other genres SJG always had Adventures on the wishlist and that may be the way to go for other settings.
You want Bughunt? Propose it as an adventure with ways to expand it and still be coherent in later adventures.
Good post overall, thats just my take on what seems the successful move.
Rory said…
Wandered over here after reading your latest entry. You may have that DF setting issue licked now. As for a Bughunt setting, I came up with what I think is a solid idea but doubt my name would sell it and settings are a tough sell so I intend to pitch it if and when I get a few more books under my belt.
On the other hand if there seems interest I might propose it sooner than later, truthfully though I think rules oriented books are easier to write so more practice first is good.

Popular posts from this blog

Spaced Out Rides

(This is the kind of thing I'd have sent into Pyramid   back in the day, but that's not an option now, so here we are.)   The GURPS Action series is the gift that keeps on giving for a lot of modern-and-later gaming. GURPS Action 2: Exploits has rules for sneaking around, running away, and all kinds of other activities which can be easily transplanted to cyberpunk and other high-tech settings. GURPS Action 6: Tricked-Out Rides provides more of the same for its topic, giving an easy framework for describing and even designing common types of vehicles without all the math and paralysis-by-analysis of GURPS Vehicles. Pick a standardized vehicle type (van, compact car, etc.) and apply modifiers (rugged, tinted windows). But, of course, it’s limited. It’s just ten pages, after all, so it’s great for common passenger vehicles for the modern(ish) era. But higher-tech vehic...

G$ --> DND GP

A GURPS $ is worth 1.27 D&D 5e SP, which is interesting because in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, the typical $1 coin is a silver piece. And a D&D GP is worth about $7.87 in GURPS. So, where does that come from? A while back, I cautioned someone considering using (among other things) GURPS Renaissance Venice: Merchants of Venice  in a non-GURPS game that prices listed in the extensive lists of trade goods were expressed in GURPS $, which might not have obvious conversions into other game systems. But if one wanted to convert GURPS prices into D&D or vice versa, how would that work? It crossed my mind to take a "basket of goods" approach. Economists measure inflation not by picking a single commodity, like the price of gold or oil or wheat, and seeing how that changes over time, but by taking the combined value of a set of common commodities. This provides a more comprehensive picture of the cost of living. Perhaps gas becomes less expensive while the price of whe...

2020 GURPS Challenge PDFs: Incense Trail prices

Over on the forum, somebody asked me how much frankincense and myrrh cost in antiquity. Well, we don't know. We never get as much price information as we like out of history. There's the occasional mention of this or that product being worth its weight in silver or gold, but we can reasonably believe that those are descriptions written by political, cultural, or philosophical commentators trying to give an idea of how expensive things are, not people who have actually done an economic analysis and discovered that the material in question is, by coincidence, exactly the same value as silver or gold and not, say, one and a half times the price of silver or three quarters of the price of gold. We know it was valuable, but not how valuable on the level of individual purchases. But for the convenience of the GM, we can use those comparisons to establish some ballpark figures. Mind you, this is based largely on GURPS rather than historical sources, so it's not something I would h...