Skip to main content

More Dice

With the addition of a pressure pot, I've got the basic technical infrastructure for dice-making mostly in place (just need to figure out polishing; my attempts so far have been...unsuccessful), so i can concentrate more on the artistic side. Several of my latest have been more work on dice representing places using the Terrain2STL-based technique described here.

 First, the cliffs of Moher:

When my lovely and talented spouse and I visited Ireland, we stopped at the cliffs at a spot near a Medieval tower, which I added to the landscape.

Monument Valley:


This one likewise needed a little help. The section of Monument Valley I did here included West Mitten Butte, East Mitten Butte, and Merrick Butte. However, the resolution of the GIS data was sufficiently coarse that it excluded the chimneys on the Mitten Buttes. I had to add them back in. This involved a lot of dry brushing to get the layered earth tone effect.

And the Grand Canyon:

 

This needed no help on the modeling. Print, paint (more dry brushing), and a little blue epoxy for the Colorado River.

I also wanted to make some GURPS-related dice for obvious reasons. The problem is that GURPS is a generic game. The dice have to be d6s, of course, but the game can be about or include anything, so there aren't a lot of motifs to give the impression of GURPS-ness. Still, I tried.

Obviously, an eye-in-the-pyramid motif is suitable. There are lightning bolts (gold nail polish drawn atop layers of epoxy) leaping from the apex of the pyramid here.

Geodesic dome over a space colony? Lines of magical force? I don't really know, so it could be either.

This is a little more steampunky. Perhaps it's a crucible for orichalcum or a gateway to another dimension.

Finally, one thing that is identifiably GURPSy is the contributions of Canadians to the game. Our line editor Sean Punch and important GURPS author David Pulver are both from Canada. So, then, here's a bit of Canada in a d6. Specifically, it's the environs of St. John's, Newfoundland.




 

 

 

Comments

John Dallman said…
Very nice! My dice-making efforts, a few years back, were laser-engraved by the Chessex Custom Shop. I made dice for specific GURPS campaigns, and even for specific characters. https://www.flickr.com/photos/johndallman1961/albums/72157655529877031

Popular posts from this blog

Ferrous Metal Food Fighting Guy!

(This is something I wrote up some years back. I'm putting it here so I can find it more easily when I want to. Though it's rather silly, it's also where I came up with the idea of high-quality materials which don't provide a bonus to the craftsman's skill, but do add to the margin of success, a mechanism which later appeared in the crafting rules in GURPS Low-Tech Companion 3 .) One of the things not to be found in GURPS 4e is extensive rules for competitive cooking. If two cooks of steely resolve rise up to face one another across a cooking coliseum, the GM can only fall back on hand-waving and contests of skill. This article fills that much-needed gap. GURPS chefs can now stage furious contests wherein they construct fanciful dishes, the more elaborate the better, and prove whose cooking rules the day. To the kitchen! Procedure These rules provide guidance for attempting to cook complex dishes and comparing their quality when the cooking is done. A che

Car Wars Minis, Third Batch

Still having a go at these, trying out some new ideas. The short version is that having the right tools and materials is still key, but I've got a way to go with some other stuff. I think this one looks better in person than as a picture. A couple of shades of blue here with a blue wash and drybrushed metallic blue on some components. Oh, and purple spikes. I didn't even try to figure out something clever to do with the windshield. I'm finding that it's hard to make yellow work, but this one wasn't too bad. I initially tried masking the area for the blue stripe with tape, but it pulled off the paint instead. Had to do a swipe with a broad brush, which isn't great but worked better than I expected. Another one that looks better in person than on film. Tried to do a few different shades of green, which wasn't entirely successful. Probably my best out of this batch. I credit the red wash, which ended up being kind of glossy and goes well with the copper accents

Charcuterie Bard

A few days ago, I dropped this random gag:   I shall make a character for an RPG who has powers related to artistic creativity, but instead of music and song, they come from arranging cheeses and cured meats. A charcuterie bard. — Turhan's Bey Company (@turhansbeycmpny) December 21, 2021   But then I remembered that there's absolutely precedent for food-based magic:  So, then, obviously we can have food-based bards in GURPS, right? The best approach I see is modifying the Enthrallment skills (p. B191). However, rather than requiring Public Speaking at 12+ as a prerequisite, a charcuterie bard requires Cooking and Professional Skill (Food Stylist) at 12+; see Ferrous Metal Food Fighting Guy for a bit on the latter. The skills are used by preparing and feeding an audience with tasty, tasty foods. The elements of food in question cost a minimum of 1% of COL per target, though higher quality ingredients provide a bonus (use costs and reaction bonuses for styling, GURPS Low-Tech