Skip to main content

Stuff I Wouldn't Do With Purchased Minis

One of the great things about the advent of 3d printing, when it comes to gaming, is that it allows me to take more risks and try stuff I wouldn't do otherwise. Take, for example, experimenting with painting techniques. Maybe I want to see what an unusual color scheme would look like or try doing an odd way of achieving an effect. Factory-made miniatures are expensive. Too expensive for me to risk it. Which, as someone who's not very good at painting minis and needs lots of practice, is one reason I've never gotten into them. I don't feel like I can afford the implied expense of getting better.


Enter 3d printing. With the right files, I can print as many minis as I can like and mess around with them to my heart's content. Mess one up? That's fine. Resin isn't cheap, but it doesn't cost nearly as much as pre-made molded plastic. I can take it as a learning experience and move on.


Which brings me to messing around with some Car Wars minis. I'd been musing on ways to make a car look old and rusty. One way is, of course, to paint the car, then add rusted spots to it with suitable colors of paint. But a friend recently pointed out a different technique which is somewhat truer to life: paint an under-layer first (that's where the rust colors go), then hit the piece with hairspray (which I had left over from when I was using it as an adhesive on my FDM priner), then an over-layer, then remove some of that top layer by wetting and scraping it off with a toothpick or something similar. Assuming you've let all the layers dry sufficiently, that lets you roughly scrape off the top color, leaving the bottom layer visible below. 


What I started with in this experiment is a pair of CW minis I'd done months ago, painted garishly in UV-sensitive paint. Quite hideous and not rusty, but since this was an experiment, the actual color of the under-layer didn't really matter.


Ew, right?


I hit them with a couple of coats of unscented Aqua-Net, available wherever inexpensive hair care products are sold. In the process, I came up with a variation on the idea and pressed a few lengths of thread onto one of the cars and made sure it adhered well.

 

Ew, but shiny.


Next, a heavy top coat.

 

I finished by touching up some details like redoing the windows and some weapons. And then it was time for scraping. I used a brush (a q-tip would have done as well) to dampen the areas I wanted to scrape off, then took a toothpick to the red one. For the blue one, I just pulled of the thread. So how did it work?

For a quick and dirty experiment, I think it worked pretty well. On the red car, the under-layer is showing through rough-edged gaps, which is exactly what I'd want if it were paint flaking off of a rusting body underneath. And the lines on the blue one are pretty nicely defined, as I had hoped.


Oh, and since that's still UV-sensitive paint underneath, the exposed areas really pop under blacklight.

This picture is actually a very poor representation of what it really looks like. In a combination of visible and higher UV, the cars more or less maintain their surface colors, but the lines of the under layer stand out with their own glow. And a discovery here is that the UV paint is very sensitive still glowing even if it's covered with a coat of some other paint, as is visible in the windows of the blue car. Gonna have to think of some way of doing something with that on purpose.


So that worked out, and I'm happy to know that I can always crank out more if I get other weird ideas.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spaced Out Rides

(This is the kind of thing I'd have sent into Pyramid   back in the day, but that's not an option now, so here we are.)   The GURPS Action series is the gift that keeps on giving for a lot of modern-and-later gaming. GURPS Action 2: Exploits has rules for sneaking around, running away, and all kinds of other activities which can be easily transplanted to cyberpunk and other high-tech settings. GURPS Action 6: Tricked-Out Rides provides more of the same for its topic, giving an easy framework for describing and even designing common types of vehicles without all the math and paralysis-by-analysis of GURPS Vehicles. Pick a standardized vehicle type (van, compact car, etc.) and apply modifiers (rugged, tinted windows). But, of course, it’s limited. It’s just ten pages, after all, so it’s great for common passenger vehicles for the modern(ish) era. But higher-tech vehic...

G$ --> DND GP

A GURPS $ is worth 1.27 D&D 5e SP, which is interesting because in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, the typical $1 coin is a silver piece. And a D&D GP is worth about $7.87 in GURPS. So, where does that come from? A while back, I cautioned someone considering using (among other things) GURPS Renaissance Venice: Merchants of Venice  in a non-GURPS game that prices listed in the extensive lists of trade goods were expressed in GURPS $, which might not have obvious conversions into other game systems. But if one wanted to convert GURPS prices into D&D or vice versa, how would that work? It crossed my mind to take a "basket of goods" approach. Economists measure inflation not by picking a single commodity, like the price of gold or oil or wheat, and seeing how that changes over time, but by taking the combined value of a set of common commodities. This provides a more comprehensive picture of the cost of living. Perhaps gas becomes less expensive while the price of whe...

dVikingNames

This 2015 dissertation by Dr.  Paul Peterson  is the kind of gaming resource actual academia provides to us. The work contains a list of 517 Viking nicknames and their meanings. They start on p. 127 if you just want to skip ahead. Cool, no? Shane Ivey over on Bluesky suggested bringing a d517 to your next D&D game. And having a random table of Viking names is a great idea, actually. But. 517 doesn't break down into die rolls well. It's the product of two primes, and that does not translate into rolls on dAnythingyoumighthaveinyourdicebag. But its really close to 512, which is a straight-up power of two, and that you can roll. Indeed, if you just ignore the last five items on the list (sorry, enn ǫrvi, ǫrvǫnd, ǫrvǫndr, Øxna-, and øxnabroddr), you just need 3d8, or roll a d8 three times, treating each roll as a separate digit to generate one of 512 possible rolls and looking up the corresponding value. Roll, say, a 5, 7, and 1? That's 305, or lunan , meaning little blac...